Long-running efforts to address the condition of Alexandria’s roads will continue this summer with a new set of local roadways set for repavings.
Roads were prioritized for repaving based on the Pavement Condition Inventory, according to a newsletter put out by Mayor Justin Wilson. The study done last year showed roads throughout the city score poorly, particularly the side streets through neighborhoods.
“We continue to play ‘catch up’ throughout the City from deferred road maintenance during the worst of the Great Recession,” Wilson said in the newsletter. “I’m hopeful we can continue (and hopefully increase) these investments in this very basic infrastructure.”
The work is contingent on funding proposed in the Fiscal Year 2021 budget, scheduled for adoption on April 29.
Wilson said the following 37 streets are all scheduled to be repaved this year and work could start as soon as July 1:
- Callahan Drive from King Street to Duke Street
- North Pitt Street from Oronoco Street to King Street
- King Street from Callahan Street to Dangerfield Street
- North and South Union Street from Pendleton Street to Franklin Street
- North and South Fairfax Street from Jefferson Street to Third Street
- South Walker Street from Duke Street to Stevenson Avenue
- West Taylor Run Parkway from Janneys Lane to Duke Street
- East Abingdon Drive from Second Street to Slaters Lane
- Commonwealth Avenue from E/W Braddock Road to King Street
- Duke Street from South Patrick Street to Strand Street
- Hume Avenue from Commonwealth Avenue to Richmond Highway
- North Floyd Street from Duke Street to North French Street
- Fendall Avenue from Duke Street to South Floyd Street
- Wellington Road from Beverley Drive to Chalfonte Drive
- Fillmore Avenue from Seminary Road to End
- Farm Road from Beverley Drive to Circle Terrace
- North Gladden Street from Uline Avenue North Grayson Street
- North Grayson Street from North Gladden Street to Uline Avenue
- Tulsa Place from North Gordon to End
- Uline Avenue from North Gordon Street to Taney Avenue
- North and South West Street from Duke Street to Wythe Street
- Skyhill Road from Janneys Lane to End
- Daingerfield from King Street to Duke Street
- North Morgan Street from North Chambliss Street to End
- North and South Alfred Street from First Street to Church Street
- Reading Avenue from North Beauregard Street to End
- Rayburn Avenue from North Beauregard Street to Reading Avenue
- South Iris Street from Venable Avenue to Vermont Avenue
- Cameron Mills Road from Virginia Avenue to Allison Street
- Marlboro Drive from West Braddock Road to End
- Fort Ward Place from Ellicott Street
- Ellicott Street from Marlboro Drive to End
- Moncure Dr from S View Terr to Hilton St
- Crown View Drive from Clover Way to Dartmouth Road
- Jewell Court from North Chambliss Street to End
- Anderson Court from Jewell Court to End
- North and South Saint Asaph Street from First Street to End
Staff photo by Jay Westcott
After achieving some funding from earlier grants, the City of Alexandria is going back to that well to try and finance more flood mitigation. At a meeting on Tuesday, Oct….
Learn how mortgage program options and interest rates are faring as well as the overall status of the mortgage industry this fall in the latest Ask McEnearney.
A 43-year-old Orange County man was arrested in the Braddock area earlier this month for selling drug paraphernalia and providing a false statement to police after a concerned resident reported…
It’s another beautiful, sunny day in Old Town where you occasionally can’t hear the person standing next to you speaking because an airplane from National Airport is flying directly overhead….