Long-running efforts to address the condition of Alexandria’s roads will continue this summer with a new set of local roadways set for repavings.
Roads were prioritized for repaving based on the Pavement Condition Inventory, according to a newsletter put out by Mayor Justin Wilson. The study done last year showed roads throughout the city score poorly, particularly the side streets through neighborhoods.
“We continue to play ‘catch up’ throughout the City from deferred road maintenance during the worst of the Great Recession,” Wilson said in the newsletter. “I’m hopeful we can continue (and hopefully increase) these investments in this very basic infrastructure.”
The work is contingent on funding proposed in the Fiscal Year 2021 budget, scheduled for adoption on April 29.
Wilson said the following 37 streets are all scheduled to be repaved this year and work could start as soon as July 1:
- Callahan Drive from King Street to Duke Street
- North Pitt Street from Oronoco Street to King Street
- King Street from Callahan Street to Dangerfield Street
- North and South Union Street from Pendleton Street to Franklin Street
- North and South Fairfax Street from Jefferson Street to Third Street
- South Walker Street from Duke Street to Stevenson Avenue
- West Taylor Run Parkway from Janneys Lane to Duke Street
- East Abingdon Drive from Second Street to Slaters Lane
- Commonwealth Avenue from E/W Braddock Road to King Street
- Duke Street from South Patrick Street to Strand Street
- Hume Avenue from Commonwealth Avenue to Richmond Highway
- North Floyd Street from Duke Street to North French Street
- Fendall Avenue from Duke Street to South Floyd Street
- Wellington Road from Beverley Drive to Chalfonte Drive
- Fillmore Avenue from Seminary Road to End
- Farm Road from Beverley Drive to Circle Terrace
- North Gladden Street from Uline Avenue North Grayson Street
- North Grayson Street from North Gladden Street to Uline Avenue
- Tulsa Place from North Gordon to End
- Uline Avenue from North Gordon Street to Taney Avenue
- North and South West Street from Duke Street to Wythe Street
- Skyhill Road from Janneys Lane to End
- Daingerfield from King Street to Duke Street
- North Morgan Street from North Chambliss Street to End
- North and South Alfred Street from First Street to Church Street
- Reading Avenue from North Beauregard Street to End
- Rayburn Avenue from North Beauregard Street to Reading Avenue
- South Iris Street from Venable Avenue to Vermont Avenue
- Cameron Mills Road from Virginia Avenue to Allison Street
- Marlboro Drive from West Braddock Road to End
- Fort Ward Place from Ellicott Street
- Ellicott Street from Marlboro Drive to End
- Moncure Dr from S View Terr to Hilton St
- Crown View Drive from Clover Way to Dartmouth Road
- Jewell Court from North Chambliss Street to End
- Anderson Court from Jewell Court to End
- North and South Saint Asaph Street from First Street to End
Staff photo by Jay Westcott
Feeling buyer’s remorse? Ask McEnearney discusses avoid buyer’s remorse before committing to a purchase.
Representatives from Hilco Redevelopment Partners (HRP) recently opened up about some of the behind-the-scenes discussions on whether or not to make the central street in Old Town North’s power plant…
A 45-year-old man is being held without bond in connection with a stabbing in the West End on Saturday evening, according to the Alexandria Police Department. Police were dispatched just…
Good Wednesday morning, Alexandria! ⛅ Today’s weather: Mostly cloudy throughout the day. High of 59 and low of 44. 🌥 Tomorrow: Overcast throughout the day. High of 65 and low…
Alexandria Women for Good donated $6,720 to Alexandria’s Community Lodgings from their first donation cycle! They toured one of the learning centers, met some of the staff and kids, and handed over a big check.
Alexandria Women for Good is a newly formed local Grapevine Giving Circle composed of local Alexandria women who make the commitment to give back to the local community regularly and intentionally. Each quarter they raise money to give to local nonprofits making a difference.
For more information visit: https://www.grapevine.org/giving- circle/3y6h4Ay/Alexandria-Women-for-Good
Pictured left to right: Laura Herron, Laura Turner, Kate Wiley from Community Lodgings, and Laura Bloodgood
Hi, my name is Moneim Z., and I am a blind male with chronic kidney disease, who needs a living kidney donor for a transplant. My blood type is B+, and I can accept a kidney from individuals who have blood types B and O.
To read my story, please see the attached letter.
To contact me directly, please email me at [email protected] or call at 571-428-5065. My living donor coordinator at INOVA Hospital, Amileen Cruz can be reached at (703) 776-8370 , or via email at [email protected]