Long-running efforts to address the condition of Alexandria’s roads will continue this summer with a new set of local roadways set for repavings.
Roads were prioritized for repaving based on the Pavement Condition Inventory, according to a newsletter put out by Mayor Justin Wilson. The study done last year showed roads throughout the city score poorly, particularly the side streets through neighborhoods.
“We continue to play ‘catch up’ throughout the City from deferred road maintenance during the worst of the Great Recession,” Wilson said in the newsletter. “I’m hopeful we can continue (and hopefully increase) these investments in this very basic infrastructure.”
The work is contingent on funding proposed in the Fiscal Year 2021 budget, scheduled for adoption on April 29.
Wilson said the following 37 streets are all scheduled to be repaved this year and work could start as soon as July 1:
- Callahan Drive from King Street to Duke Street
- North Pitt Street from Oronoco Street to King Street
- King Street from Callahan Street to Dangerfield Street
- North and South Union Street from Pendleton Street to Franklin Street
- North and South Fairfax Street from Jefferson Street to Third Street
- South Walker Street from Duke Street to Stevenson Avenue
- West Taylor Run Parkway from Janneys Lane to Duke Street
- East Abingdon Drive from Second Street to Slaters Lane
- Commonwealth Avenue from E/W Braddock Road to King Street
- Duke Street from South Patrick Street to Strand Street
- Hume Avenue from Commonwealth Avenue to Richmond Highway
- North Floyd Street from Duke Street to North French Street
- Fendall Avenue from Duke Street to South Floyd Street
- Wellington Road from Beverley Drive to Chalfonte Drive
- Fillmore Avenue from Seminary Road to End
- Farm Road from Beverley Drive to Circle Terrace
- North Gladden Street from Uline Avenue North Grayson Street
- North Grayson Street from North Gladden Street to Uline Avenue
- Tulsa Place from North Gordon to End
- Uline Avenue from North Gordon Street to Taney Avenue
- North and South West Street from Duke Street to Wythe Street
- Skyhill Road from Janneys Lane to End
- Daingerfield from King Street to Duke Street
- North Morgan Street from North Chambliss Street to End
- North and South Alfred Street from First Street to Church Street
- Reading Avenue from North Beauregard Street to End
- Rayburn Avenue from North Beauregard Street to Reading Avenue
- South Iris Street from Venable Avenue to Vermont Avenue
- Cameron Mills Road from Virginia Avenue to Allison Street
- Marlboro Drive from West Braddock Road to End
- Fort Ward Place from Ellicott Street
- Ellicott Street from Marlboro Drive to End
- Moncure Dr from S View Terr to Hilton St
- Crown View Drive from Clover Way to Dartmouth Road
- Jewell Court from North Chambliss Street to End
- Anderson Court from Jewell Court to End
- North and South Saint Asaph Street from First Street to End
Staff photo by Jay Westcott
Except for the shots fired in the Braddock neighborhood, it’s been a relatively quiet week in Alexandria. The water was still settling on Monday after the big drop on Friday:…
Things are about to slow down in school zones. The Alexandria School Board on Thursday (October 6) unanimously approved a resolution requesting a reduction from 25 miles per hour to…
Home hunt highlights includes a 1 BD/1 BA condo with floor-to-ceiling windows and open living room.
A 5 BD/5 BA home with a fully fenced yard, fire pit and screened in porch is included in Just Listed.
Looking for a more convenient way to work out?
On the Go Fitness Pro offers in home personal training. We bring the gym to you, so you can save time and skip the hassle of going to the gym. Plus, our trainers are certified and experienced, so you can be sure you’re getting the best possible workout.
We provide all the equipment needed for a great workout or we can use the equipment that you have.
Are you tired of going to the gym? It might be the crowds, the locker room, waiting on equipment or the time it takes to commute to the gym.
Having a personal trainer come to your home will keep you accountable, save you time and allow you to workout in the comfort of your own home.
Skip the hassle of the gym and try our in-home personal training service.
Our services are reasonably priced, convenient, effective and are risk free.
Join the City of Alexandria and Arlington County’s Initiative to Rethink Energy at our first ever electric vehicle (EV) and sustainable technologies showcase! Get inspired by seeing a variety of electric cars, scooters, bikes, motorcycles, police cars, buses, trucks and