Address: 211 Prince Street
Neighborhood: Old Town
This elegant house on historic Gentry Row was completed in 1784 by Captain John Harper and was once the home of Dr. Elijah Cullen Dick, physician to George Washington.
The home is a fine example of early American architecture and interior design, enhanced over the years with a three story addition, updated kitchen and baths, plus an elevator, while original features such as heart pine floors, period mantles and exquisite moldings have been beautifully preserved.
The entry hall opens to double parlors with stately fireplaces, beautiful china cabinets and glass door opening to the walled garden from the dining room. At the rear of the entry hall is a pantry, with access to the horse alley, elevator and kitchen, which offers a raised hearth gas fireplace, eat-in space and French doors to the walled garden.
The sun-drenched great room on the second floor of the house stretches across the front of the house, with a grand fireplace at one end. Also, on this level is the quiet library paneled in original pine and a guest suite overlooking the walled garden and fish pond.
The third floor offers the master bedroom and en-suite bath as well as a third bedroom and hall bath. Just down a hallway is a laundry/exercise room and elevator landing. The fourth level of this grand house offers an open bedroom with original beams, full bath and attic access.