Clarence Tong was re-elected as chair of the Alexandria Democratic Committee after a lengthy meeting on Monday, Jan. 6.
Tong, who said that the upcoming November presidential election is the most important in our lifetime, received 81.5% of 189 votes cast, and defeated Boyd Walker for his fourth consecutive two-year term.
“We have the opportunity to build on the progress we have achieved together,” Tong told a packed house in the auditorium of the T.C. Williams Minnie Howard campus. “Our most important task will be unifying Democrats later this year… to defeat Donald Trump.”
The chair race was the only contested election for the ADC, and Walker did not mince words in his disdain for President Trump. With the Virginia Democratic Primary on March 3, Walker said that selecting a nominee that can defeat the president in the general election is paramount.
“If we don’t defeat Trump we’re not doing what we need to do to save our planet, to save our democracy. We’re putting a corrupt and dangerous person back in office,” Walker said. “So, what are we going to do? We are going to work our butts off to defeat Trump.”
The ADC also appointed:
- VC Finance & Administration: Holly Wallace
- Secretary: Mary Lyman
- Treasurer: Elisabeth Campbell
- VC Precinct Operations West: Sissy Walker
- VC Precinct Operations East: Karen Witt
- VC Communications: Mike Moran
- VC Technology: Ricardo Alfaro
- VC Outreach Team: Abdel-Rahman Elnoubi, Daniel Mosier, Sharon Widmayer
- VC Resolutions: Robert Nelson
- Volunteer Coordinator: Steve Verdier
- Leadership Circle Chair: Janet Vasak