If you’ve waited until the last minute to put together your Halloween plans, here’s your guide to events around the area.
The Birchmere (3701 Mount Vernon Avenue) is planning it’s annual party called Raven’s Night on Saturday, Nov. 2. The “unique soirée” features belly dancing, live music and a pre-show carnival. This year’s theme is “Creature Feature,” an homage to classic iconic movie monsters. Tickets are $25. Doors for the show open at 5 p.m.
Other Halloween events around town include:
Tonight (Oct. 30)
- Costume Halloween Shindig in Ivy Hill Cemetery (2823 King Street): Ivy Hill Cemetery is hosting a costume party tonight at 6:30 p.m. that will include a visit to the cemetery’s vault, ghost tours, moonshine tasting and costume awards. The event is also scheduled to include a reading from Maribeth Decker, a “local intuitive animal communicator,” who will be available to check in with pets living and deceased if the attendee brings a photo of their pet. Tickets are $35 per person and include food and drink.
- The Haunting of Hill House at The Little Theater of Alexandria (600 Wolfe Street): The Little Theater of Alexandria is hosting a performance of The Haunting of Hill House, a play based on the 1959 gothic horror novel by Shirley Jackson. The plan is running every day this week starting at 8 p.m. and Wednesday (Nov. 7) through Saturday (Nov. 9).
- Halloween at Cafe 44 (44 Canal Center Plaza): Cafe 44 on the Alexandria waterfront is hosting a Halloween party tonight. The event is scheduled to include champagne, costumes, an dlive music from acoustic band Sleeper Car. Festivities are scheduled to begin at 5 p.m.
Tomorrow (Oct. 31)
- Halloween Bar Crawl in Carlyle: The Carlyle Council is hosting a bar crawl across the Carlyle neighborhood. Participating restaurants include Tequila & Taco, Trademark Drink and Eat, Sweet Fire Donna’s and Whiskey & Oyster. Checking into each restaurant earns a ticket to a raffle to win a dinner at Taste of Carlyle. Those who wear costumes can get discounted drinks.
- Halloween at Sonoma Cellar (207 King Street): The Sonoma Cellar is celebrating Halloween with an all-night happy hour. All night, the restaurant will have $2 off all wine and appetizers and $1 off all beers. Cigars and mulled wine in the garden are planned after 8 p.m., with blankets and patio heaters for a cozy atmosphere.
Friday (Nov. 1)
- Grief and Ghosts at the Lee-Fendall House Museum (614 Oronoco Street): This weekend, the historic Lee-Fendall House will host a series of tours on Friday and Saturday starting at 7:30 p.m. that explore death and mysteries from the home’s history, as well as a look at Victorian mourning traditions. The event page says such customs include draping the mirrors after death, hair jewelry, and séances. Tickets are $10 and frequently sell out, so advance purchase is recommended.
- 10th Annual Columbia Firehouse Halloween Bash (109 S. Saint Asaph Street): The Columbia Firehouse is hosting it’s annual party, with trick or treating for kids and prizes for the best costume.
Photo via The Birchmere/Facebook
The Alexandria City Council wants more than answers from Dominion Energy for a recent power outage on the busiest day of the year in Del Ray — they want restitution….
A new sprawling West End development near Landmark Mall is headed to the Planning Commission, but with a bigger emphasis on housing than before. Landmark Overlook is a proposed development…
Learn the the process or obtaining a real estate license as well as the cost and time it takes in the latest Ask McEnearney.
As it turns out, the uptick in airplane noise over Alexandria is one of the many little side-effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. At an update to the City Council last…