Good Monday morning, Alexandria!
🌤️ Today’s weather: Expect partly sunny skies with a high near 52 during the day, accompanied by a west wind blowing at around 7 to 9 mph. As for Monday night, the skies will be mostly clear, with the temperature dropping to around 35 and a northwest wind blowing at around 8 mph.
🚨 You need to know
After the Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority (ARHA) sent out a warning to residents that police would be arresting people caught wearing ski masks, NBC reported that Police Chief Don Hayes has apologized and said no one will be arrested for wearing a ski mask.
Hayes said in a letter that the department has not arrested people for wearing ski masks and won’t start now, though he did note that wearing a mask has been included with other criminal charges.
According to NBC, Hayes said the letter should never have gone out and he plans to go door to door in the affected communities to apologize and explain that the police won’t arrest anyone for wearing clothing to keep themselves warm.
📈 Friday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Dec 1, 2023.
- Alexandria’s Smoot Lumber yard closing today after 200 years in business (19150 views)
- BREAKING: Alexandria Mayor Justin Wilson won’t seek reelection (4492 views)
- Alexandria creates new interactive map for armchair archaeologists (3300 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Alexandria is a Magical Place Indeed
Zebra (Saturday @ 6:30 am)
- Special Election To Be Held For Alexandria School Board Rep
Patch (Friday @ 4:51 pm)
- Ski Mask Warning To Public Housing Residents Prompts Outcry
Patch (Friday @ 3:27 pm)
- Mayor Justin Wilson announces he will not run for reelection
Alexandria Times (Friday @ 2:55 pm)
- Ready for Winter in Alexandria? City Provides Preparedness Info and Resources
Zebra (Friday @ 2:38 pm)
- Parade Doubleheader: Scottish Christmas Walk, Boat Parade Preview
Patch (Friday @ 12:21 pm)
- Apply to Join Alexandria School Board; Special Election Scheduled Jan. 9, 2024
Zebra (Friday @ 12:01 pm)
- Mayor Justin Wilson To Not Seek Re-Election In 2024
Patch (Friday @ 9:50 am)
- BREAKING NEWS: Alexandria Mayor Justin Wilson Says He Will Not Seek Re-electon in 2024
Zebra (Friday @ 8:32 am)
- Pippin Toy Co. Opens in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:01 am)
- Mayor Wilson Will Not Seek Re-Election in 2024
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 7:42 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
A bit of a slower news week in Alexandria. The fight over the Potomac Yard arena was still ongoing and Metro funding got tied up into the mix. Over the…
A new pilot program to step up parking enforcement in Old Town netted 4,000 citations in its first month. A staff memo (page 8) to the Traffic and Parking Board…
The Alexandria School Board approved its fiscal year 2025 $384.4 million combined funds budget on Thursday night and it is asking City Council for $21 million more than the previous…
A 4 BD/3 BA brick townhome with a gas fireplace, floor to ceiling windows and a 2 car garage is featured in Just Listed.
Are you looking to work on health and fitness from the comfort of your own home?
Skip the big box gym and try out our in-home personal training service. We bring the gym to you so that you can save time and avoid the hassle of going the the crowded gym.
We bring all the equipment you need for a solid workout and if you have a community gym we can use that too.
We offer programs that will help with weight loss, strength, flexibility, more energy and overall feeling better.
Peace in Gaza: Prayer Liturgy and Community Discussion for Peace in Arlington VA, Sunday, Feb. 11, 10:15 AM
Prayer, liturgy, and community discussion for peace in Gaza, an immediate cease fire and resumption of humanitarian aid will be hosted by Nova Catholic Community. The focus will be Pope Francis’ call for an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages, resumption of humanitarian aid for Palestinians in Gaza, and peace talks for a lasting and just peace for all people in the region.
Discussion will follow at Noon on US military role in the conflict and appropriate steps the US should take to foster peace and rebuilding. Light lunch served.
Again this year, The Critical Mass, LLC, the Made in ALX store and local Ukrainian-American artists are throwing a Pysanky Party — and partnering on a fundraiser for the nonprofit organization Razom for Ukraine.
The free event, from 5 –