Good Monday morning, Alexandria!
🌤 Today’s weather: Scattered clouds. Mild. High of 74.
⛅ Tomorrow: Afternoon clouds. Mild. High of 75 and low of 43. Sunrise at 6:38 am and sunset at 7:40 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Fairfax County police said two juveniles were injured in a stabbing at a Walmart in Hybla Valley, just south of Alexandria, on Friday.
The incident occurred Friday afternoon. Police said one had life-threatening injuries and another had non-life threatening injuries.
Police said that suspects are in custody and the incident was likely not a random act.
Officers are on scene of a stabbing in the 7900 block of Richmond Hwy. Two juvenile victims taken to the hospital with wounds to the upper body. One considered life-threatening, one considered non-life threatening. Suspects are in custody. Preliminarily, not a random act. #FCPD pic.twitter.com/FAhYAW0FzZ
— Fairfax County Police (@FairfaxCountyPD) April 7, 2023
📈 Friday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Apr 7, 2023.
- Z-Burger owner says new joint corners the fast-casual burger market in Alexandria’s West End (1372 views)
- ALXnow’s top stories this week in Alexandria | ALXnow (1212 views)
- Notes: Alexandria sees slight population rebound after pandemic drop (324 views)
- Poll: Will the Yellow Line reopening make you more likely to take Metro? (255 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Alexandria Titans Youth Football Prepares Future Stars
Zebra (Sunday @ 11:15 am)
- NoVA, DC Weather: Frost Advisory Issued For Sunday Morning
Patch (Saturday @ 3:19 pm)
- DMV Restaurant News: County Cork Native Niamh O’Donovan is New Managing Partner at The Hunter’s Hound Irish Restaurant and Bar in Chevy Chase, MD
Zebra (Friday @ 1:54 pm)
- Is business booming? New BID initiative causes ripples down King Street
Alexandria Times (Friday @ 9:43 am)
- Copper Seeks New Family for Naps, Treats, Head Scratches
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:06 am)
- Duke Street in Motion Tests New Tech, Releases New Corridor Concepts
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 7:56 am)
- Several Affordable Housing Projects Move Forward
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 7:30 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
By the time this story is published, candidates will have just an hour-and-a-half to file the necessary paperwork to run in the Jan. 9 special election to fill the vacant seat on the Alexandria School Board.
(Updated 3:20 p.m.) Alexandria has nabbed a top spot on another holiday-focused tour list, this time on holiday gift website Mixbook. The website’s list “America’s Favorite ‘Christmassy’ Towns 2023” ranked…
The Alexandria Police Department says that an arrest was made after a man was injured in an attempted robbery in the Landmark area of Alexandria’s West End last week. APD…
Eat Fish, Be Healthy — even at home! Opening their storefront in November 2020, owners Michael and Katy set out to supply top quality fresh and frozen seafood to Alexandria…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.