Good Monday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Partly cloudy throughout the day. High of 55 and low of 35.
🌤 Tomorrow: Clear throughout the day. High of 54 and low of 35. Sunrise at 7:02 am and sunset at 5:45 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Cunningham was convicted of aggravated murder and rape. The post reported that Cunningham faces a sentence of life in prison.
Jones had down syndrome and worked at the Marriott Hotel in Crystal City. She was remembered by family as loving to sing and dance and was employee of the month several times in the Crystal City Marriott and at National Airport, the Washington Post reported.
📈 Friday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Feb 10, 2023.
- BREAKING: One person shot in Arlandria near Waffle Shop (6034 views)
- Alexandria City High School student hospitalized after possible overdose (3456 views)
- ALXnow’s top stories this week in Alexandria (868 views)
- Notes: Alexandria ranked second best city in America for dogs | ALXnow (535 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Del Ray Chili Cookoff Feb. 25
Alexandria Living (Sunday @ 5:17 am)
- February at Mount Vernon: Free Admission on Presidents Day
Alexandria Living (Sunday @ 5:08 am)
- 90th Annual Historic Garden Week: April 15 Tour in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Sunday @ 4:57 am)
- Handcrafted Cocktails and Tantalizing Tapas at BarTantical, Del Ray’s Newest Pop-Up
Zebra (Saturday @ 11:32 am)
- Still Time to be Part of Galentine’s Celebrations at Whiskey & Oyster and Lost Boy Cider in Alexandria
Zebra (Saturday @ 10:32 am)
- City of Alexandria Selected for Federal Safe Streets and Roads for All Grant
Zebra (Saturday @ 10:18 am)
- Virginia Tech Innovation Campus Construction Milestone Reached
Patch (Friday @ 5:31 pm)
- Alexandria Pet Of The Week: Make Zeus Your Valentine
Patch (Friday @ 4:20 pm)
- The 2023 Heart of Del Ray Goes To…Del Ray Farmers Market
Zebra (Friday @ 2:53 pm)
- 1 Injured In Shooting Reported In Arlandria: Alexandria Police
Patch (Friday @ 2:13 pm)
- February 2023
Alexandria Times (Friday @ 1:27 pm)
- Killing Of Alexandria Woman With Down Syndrome Leads To Conviction
Patch (Friday @ 11:21 am)
- Frank Pepe’s Pizzeria Napoletana is Turning up the Heat with Chicken Diavolo Pizza
Zebra (Friday @ 10:52 am)
- Alexandria Cancer Survivor Holds 24-Hour Stand Up To Cancer Fundraiser
Patch (Friday @ 9:30 am)
- Sweet, Sociable and Affectionate Nukie
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:06 am)
🐦 Tweets of note
— James Libresco (@james_libresco) February 10, 2023
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
At a town hall meeting last Sunday, most City Council members said — in no uncertain terms — that they are opposed to a ward system in Alexandra. Currently, all…
Alexandria is bracing for a federal government shutdown at midnight on Sunday (Oct. 1). The city is preparing a package of services for impacted city residents, should Congress not come…
Shuttles are running between the Potomac Yard Metro station and National Airport Metro station after a derailment this morning. Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) said there were no injuries…
Just Listed includes a 1 BD/1 BA freshly painted condo with an in-unit washer/dryer, hardwood floors and built-in cabinetry.
If you had a chance to enhance a child’s future with a time commitment of less than 2 hours a week, how would you respond? You have that opportunity right now to join over 200 Alexandrians as a reading tutor volunteer with the Alexandria Tutoring Consortium (ATC).
ATC tutors work with one child in kindergarten, first, or second grade in Alexandria public schools who need extra help with reading. Tutors meet with their Book Buddy 1-2 times each week for 30 minutes October-May at school, during school hours. Many struggling readers only receive one-on-one instruction through this program, and it makes all the difference. Last year, ATC served 195 children, of whom 82% ended the year reading on grade level and 96% made substantial reading gains. But the need is great, and we are still seeing learning lags from the pandemic.
This year, ATC plans to significantly increase the size of the program to reach over 250 students and to serve every elementary school in Alexandria. This is very exciting news, but we will only succeed if we can recruit more tutors. ATC trains you, matches you with a child, and provides ongoing lesson materials and support.
If you have been thinking about buying your first home or haven’t owned one in the last three years, THIS IS FOR YOU!
In the DMV area, it can be difficult to save the downpayment necessary for you to get into your own home. We have a solution. The Funder’s Summit!
We have assembled a summit with different municipalities to tell you how to access their funds for your home purchase.