Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
⛅ Today’s weather: Partly cloudy throughout the day. High of 68 and low of 35.
⛅ Tomorrow: Partly cloudy throughout the day. High of 51 and low of 35. Sunrise at 7:06 am and sunset at 5:41 pm.
🚨 You need to know
The list looks at the number of dog-friendly services and amenities per capita and per square mile, like pet sitting and boarding facilities. The list also counts the total number of dog parks, pet supply stores and animal shelters.
According to Rent.com:
Alexandria, located in the Washington, D.C., metro, is the smallest city on this list. Just 154,706 people call this Virginia city home. But it punches above its weight when it comes to dog-friendly amenities. And it does it by ranking high in per capita amenities, not sheer quantity.
Alexandria hovers near the bottom in most categories. But when it does move up from the last slot, it beat out larger cities to move up the ranks.
The city’s best showing is at No. 6 for its 78 boarding facilities. That’s more than Fort Lauderdale, Florida (population 181,668) and Knoxville, Tennessee (population 192,648). It’s also more than Pittsburgh, which has almost twice as many people as Alexandria.
It came in seventh for the total number dog parks. Alexandria also took 10th in both grooming and pet supply stores.
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Feb 9, 2023.
- Man arrested for allegedly stealing credit cards from Alexandria businesses (1495 views)
- Alexandria man pleads guilty to murdering his brother last summer (988 views)
- Notes: Parker-Gray home in the clear after unauthorized additions removed (805 views)
- Most and least expensive condos sold in Alexandria (Jan-Feb 2023) | ALXnow (418 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Alexandria’s Rotary Club Donates Supplies to Friends of Guest House
Zebra (Thursday @ 8:59 pm)
- Tax preparation services offered
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:19 pm)
- City seeks community feedback on audits
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:12 pm)
- Shots fired in Arlandria on Tuesday
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:02 pm)
- Arlandria assault leaves one injured
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:57 pm)
- Man pleads guilty to assault on Tuesday
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:54 pm)
- Man arrested for West End stabbing
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:51 pm)
- Filling in the Blanks with Melanie Kay-Wyatt, Ed.D.: Achieving equity in education
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:45 pm)
- Your Views: Filling empty spaces
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:40 pm)
- Your Views:Get rid of odious names
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:36 pm)
- Your Views: Political rhetoric, not history
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:34 pm)
- Our View: An erosion of trust
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:28 pm)
- Together to the end
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:23 pm)
- Sweet treats for sweethearts
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:05 pm)
- Former SSSAS stalwart becomes Bucknell’s starting center
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:52 pm)
- Alexandria Cancer Survivor to ‘Stand Up To Cancer’ for 24 Hours
Zebra (Thursday @ 12:52 pm)
- It’s Galentine’s Day in Old Town Tonight!
Zebra (Thursday @ 12:29 pm)
- Bed Bath & Beyond to Close Mount Vernon Plaza Location
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 10:53 am)
- Buyer’s Agents: Do you really need them?
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 9:43 am)
- Café 44 to Expand, Renovate, Reopen as Jula’s on the Potomac
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 7:33 am)
- Donutchew Opens in Kingstowne
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 7:21 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 5:30 pm Friday: Ballyshaners Irish Mardi Gras Party
- 3:00 pm Saturday: Concert – Wash. Metro. Philharmonic: Stravinsky, Ravel, Corigliano & Brahms
(Updated 4:15 p.m.) A conversation around a hair salon’s paint job forced Alexandria leaders to confront the question: should Old Town stay a red brick town? At a meeting on…
Before unanimously voting on financing the massive WestEnd Alexandria project at the former Landmark Mall site, a majority of Alexandria City Council members said that they still dislike the name….
Like one of the many oversized trucks stuck there over the years, a regional partnership will impact the long-troubled Virginia Railway Express (VRE) bridge over King Street and other nearby…
The brand new apartments at South Alex offer a zestful way of life centered around art and design showcasing a curated collection of custom artwork, sculptures, and murals throughout the…
Our local therapy practice is delighted to welcome Stacey Cali, Resident in Counseling, who has openings now for new clients. Stacey specializes in therapy for women, couples, teens and families. A graduate of George Mason University’s Clinical Mental Health Counseling Masters Program, Stacey is also passionate about working with people with addiction.
Stacey’s approach: “Therapy’s a powerful combination of reflection, support and action. You’ll find sessions are filled with empowerment, compassion, goal setting and a metaphorical shovel to dig deep to find the root of your difficulties and how to move past them.”
Adds Stacey, “As a therapist who works with women, teens, couples and families, I use a personalized style of counseling, tailored to you as an individual. You’re the expert in your life, I’m just here to guide you towards transformation and healing.”
Discover Healing and Renewed Well-Being through Psychotherapy
Life’s challenges can sometimes feel overwhelming, leaving us with feelings of anxiety, depression, and uncertainty. That’s where psychotherapy can make a profound difference. Our dedicated team of experienced therapists is here to guide you on a journey towards emotional and mental well-being.
Why Choose Psychotherapy?
The Made in ALX Fall Makers’ Market at Port City Brewing Co. in Alexandria is set for Sunday, Sept. 24!
This is the fall’s most fun sip-and-shop, featuring craft beer from the award-winning Port City Brewing Co. along with food,