Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
⛅ Today’s weather: Partly cloudy throughout the day. High of 41 and low of 18.
🌤 Tomorrow: Clear throughout the day. High of 36 and low of 18. Sunrise at 7:13 am and sunset at 5:33 pm.
🚨 You need to know
At a meeting earlier this week, Todd Horsley, the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation’s director of Northern Virginia Transit Programs, presented a study that explored how transit could make use of expanded I-495 Express Lanes crossing the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.
Horsley pointed out repeatedly that all of this was theoretical, nothing is being planned just yet, but a study was done in case those transit plans were to come along later.
Currently, there’s limited bus service along I-495 and across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. If the new express lanes are built, however, Horsley said the expansion of those transit routes could come in a few stages. The shortest-term plans could be implemented immediately and would add an express route connecting Tysons to Alexandria and another extending into Maryland.
Longer-term plans could involve more extended connections between Tysons and parts of Fairfax with locations like King Street and the Braddock Road Metro stop, as well as traffic into various Maryland neighborhoods or even curling up to The Wharf in D.C.
While there was some discussion of using part of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge for a new rail connection into Maryland, Horsley said the data didn’t show a huge benefit for ridership compared to buses using express lanes.
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Feb 2, 2023.
- Two Alexandria restaurants featured on Washingtonian’s ‘Very Best’ list (2404 views)
- The base of the Appomattox statue has resurfaced atop Confederate graves in Alexandria (1093 views)
- JUST IN: Alexandria City High School evacuated for second day in a row due to bomb threats (648 views)
- Police: Lanes closed on South Washington Street due to oil spill | ALXnow (535 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- February at Mount Vernon: Celebrate Presidents’ Day With Free Admission, Special Events
Zebra (Thursday @ 9:34 pm)
- Alexandria Superintendent Search Applications to Close Soon
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 8:57 pm)
- White Lily Shoppe Opens Pop-Up at The Seedling Collective
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 8:35 pm)
- About Alexandria with Mark Eaton: ChatGPT and the public schools
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:17 pm)
- Your Views: Campaign finance reform
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:13 pm)
- Your Views: Tear no more names down
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:09 pm)
- Your Views: Enforce the parking code
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:01 pm)
- Our View: A collective bargaining conundrum
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:52 pm)
- Pets: Seven lessons in teaching
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:47 pm)
- Finance: The art of auctioning
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:44 pm)
- APD, sheriff react to Memphis death
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:39 pm)
- Dealer sentenced for causing overdoses
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:36 pm)
- Teenager killed in Alexandria
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:32 pm)
- Rev. George Pera dies at 93
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:27 pm)
- ‘We have high hopes for this team’
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:49 pm)
- Alexandria City High School Evacuated Again After Student Dismissal
Patch (Thursday @ 3:47 pm)
- City and firefighters reach an accord
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:37 pm)
- Black History Month 2023 Events Planned In Alexandria
Patch (Thursday @ 3:23 pm)
- ‘Afrophilia’: U.S. Navy Band Premiering Award-Winning Composition At Howard University Feb. 9
Zebra (Thursday @ 2:21 pm)
- Parker-Gray Historic District Home Was Remodeled Inside
Patch (Thursday @ 1:46 pm)
- Pedestrian Injured In Crash On Mount Vernon Avenue In Del Ray
Patch (Thursday @ 10:10 am)
🐦 Tweets of note
DASH is saddened by the violence yesterday at Potomac Avenue Metro and joins the @wmata family in mourning the tragic loss of Robert Cunningham in the line of duty. Our thoughts are with Mr. Cunningham, the other victims of yesterday's shooting, and their loved ones. https://t.co/Xelh7Qhq0x pic.twitter.com/nCAN31xe6u
— DASH Bus (@DASHBus) February 2, 2023
News Release:: The Alexandria Police Department is investigating a serious traffic crash that occurred Wednesday, February 1, 2023, at the intersection of East Monroe Avenue and Mount Vernon Avenue.
— Alexandria Police (@AlexandriaVAPD) February 2, 2023
Watch for detours on Duke Street!
In order to continue their work on the Hooffs Run Interceptor, RiverRenew crews must temporarily restrict pedestrian access to a small section of the street.
— Alexandria Renew Enterprises (AlexRenew) (@AlexandriaRenew) February 2, 2023
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
It’s been a busy week in Alexandria. Just days after Alexandria’s City Council voted unanimously to ditch single-family-only zoning, Mayor Justin Wilson announced that he would not be running for…
The days of digging through archives by address to find a historical report on a building in Alexandria could, themselves, be a thing of the past. Anyone can now easily…
Friends of Guest House needs pajamas and cozy socks for their female residents who are transitioning back to the community from prison. Realtor Maureen Clyne started the annual effort four years ago…
A 4 BD/2.5 BA home with a gas fireplace, patio and a large landscaped yard is included in Just Listed.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26