Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
⛅ Today’s weather: Partly cloudy throughout the day. High of 52 and low of 34.
🌤 Tomorrow: Clear throughout the day. High of 43 and low of 34. Sunrise at 7:24 am and sunset at 5:17 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Fairfax police arrested an Alexandria woman on Sunday for stealing a vehicle while a 6-year-old girl was still in the back seat.
According to a police report, the girl was in the back seat waiting for her stepfather, who went into a restaurant to pick up food. The girl was found in D.C. less than an hour later and reunited with her family, but police didn’t find the stolen sedan, FFXnow reported.
The driver reportedly used a phone left in the car to track the vehicle to the 80 block of South Bragg Street in Lincolnia.
The woman was charged with two counts of grand larceny, abduction, credit card theft, obstruction of justice, and giving a false identity to law enforcement officers. She is being held at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center without bond.
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Jan 19, 2023.
- JUST IN: Duke Street shooting suspect was released from jail last year (1275 views)
- Most and least expensive townhouses sold in Alexandria (Dec-Jan 2023) (564 views)
- Thicker Cloudz smoke shop opens on King Street in Old Town | ALXnow (541 views)
- Alexandria seeking funding to preserve the oral history of historic black cemetery in Old Town (297 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade Set for March 4 in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 6:59 pm)
- Annual Alexandria Warehouse Sale Returns Feb. 4-5
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 6:51 pm)
- Help Launch the New Route of the African American Waterfront Heritage Trail
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 6:32 pm)
- Alexandria Announces New City Leaders
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 6:25 pm)
- ‘Sister Act’ Wows ‘Em at The Little Theatre of Alexandria
Zebra (Thursday @ 5:48 pm)
- Alexandria Pet Of The Week: Adorable Youpi Is A Curious Observer
Patch (Thursday @ 4:46 pm)
- Equal Justice Initiative essay contest opens
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:14 pm)
- Early childhood care facility debuts in city
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:07 pm)
- DPC held new officers ceremony
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:02 pm)
- Brawl at AMC Hoffman Center
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:56 pm)
- Child Abduction In Car Leads To Charges For Alexandria Woman
Patch (Thursday @ 3:46 pm)
- Shooting near Holmes Run on Sunday
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:40 pm)
- City Hall Watch with Bill Rossello: All politics is national
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:36 pm)
- Award-Winning Doggie Daycare and Boarding Center WHOLE DOGZ in Alexandria Celebrates Ten Years with New Services
Zebra (Thursday @ 3:31 pm)
- My View with Jenn Stowe: Please attend human trafficking roundtable
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:15 pm)
- Your Views: Keep the name, switch the fame
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:08 pm)
- Our View: The power of friendship
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:05 pm)
- Improvements for independence
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:57 pm)
- Enthralled by ‘Sister Act’
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:38 pm)
- From mentorship to friendship
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:19 pm)
- Buckets of new talent
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:03 pm)
- Mitigating 2023 health concerns
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:37 pm)
- Continued School Resource Officers Recommended By ACPS Advisory Group
Patch (Thursday @ 10:09 am)
🐦 Tweets of note
Sources on the Titan Lunch Committee report that Titan Lunch has still not been approved by Dr. Melanie Kay-Wyatt or CO.
The proposed start date of January 24 is postponed. No further information has been released on a potential late start date.
— ACHS Theogony (@ACTheogony) January 19, 2023
In recognition of her many contributions to AlexRenew, the City of Alexandria, and the community, both the City of Alexandria and the AlexRenew Board of Directors recognized Karen Pallansch with proclamations this week. Thank you, Karen, for your many years of service! pic.twitter.com/rnyHu54msF
— Alexandria Renew Enterprises (AlexRenew) (@AlexandriaRenew) January 19, 2023
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 10:00 am Saturday: Creative Book Club
- 12:00 pm Saturday: Ann Carlyle’s Birthday Celebration
Super convenient location, all new sun filled patio, brand new siding
(Updated 9:55 p.m.) Alexandria’s Planning Commission voted to recommend eliminating outdoor music at Hops N’ Shine (3410 Mount Vernon Avenue) and the restaurant owners faced some withering rebukes from Planning Commissioners. The…
A man was shot in the West End early Sunday morning, and walked into a 7-Eleven on Lincolnia Road for help. The incident occurred at around 1:45 a.m. in the…
If you haven’t noticed, it’s pretty hazy outside. Smoke from wildfires in Canada has been working down the East Coast, spurring many localities to issue air quality alerts. The City…
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.