Good Monday morning, Alexandria!
🌤 Today’s weather: Clear throughout the day. High of 48 and low of 38.
☔ Tomorrow: Possible light rain in the afternoon. High of 49 and low of 37. Sunrise at 7:26 am and sunset at 5:12 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Alexandria has been nominated for Travel +Leisure’s World’s Best list in the “Cities” category.
Last year, the city was ranked as one of Travel + Leisure’s Best Cities in the U.S. The city came in eighth place, ahead of San Antonio and just behind Chicago.
The list described Alexandria as a “suburb of Washington D.C.” with “good food and interesting shopping.”
Supporters of the city can log in and vote online before Feb. 27.
📈 Friday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Jan 13, 2023.
- Monte Durham wants to go back on TV, but what’s that mean for his Old Town hair salon? (1548 views)
- Alexandria found success in King Street pedestrian zones, but the 200 block could be trickier (1495 views)
- ALXnow’s top stories this week in Alexandria | ALXnow (510 views)
- Notes: What’s open and what’s closed on MLK Day (256 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday Schedule in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Sunday @ 4:20 pm)
- Reception Set for River Farm Art Exhibition
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 7:39 pm)
- Alexandria Symphony Celebrates Strings with an American Premiere
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 7:12 pm)
- Sculpture Installation Comes Alive on Floor of Athenaeum Gallery
Zebra (Friday @ 6:23 pm)
- MLK Jr. Day 2023 Program, What’s Open, Closed In Alexandria
Patch (Friday @ 4:31 pm)
- What Do You Want in a Superintendent? School Board Seeks Community Input Through Survey
Zebra (Friday @ 2:19 pm)
- Alexandria Pet Of The Week: Theo Can Be Your Exercise Coach
Patch (Friday @ 1:57 pm)
- Alexandria Nominated Again For Travel + Leisure’s Best Cities List
Patch (Friday @ 10:05 am)
- Wilson Proposes New System for Renaming Streets that Honor Confederates and Racists
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:31 am)
- Cloud, the Dreamy Cat
Alexandria Living (Friday @ 8:10 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
More than 200 people have signed a petition against ABC Virginia opening a new location on S. Washington Street in Old Town. At the same time, another Change.org petition has…
Seven months after Luis Mejia Hernandez was fatally stabbed in a brawl at the Bradlee Shopping Center McDonald’s, the city has made some progress on putting together a series of…
Updated at 3:15 p.m. Alexandria City High School’s campuses evacuated at 2:25 p.m. today after a bomb threat was made earlier by phone. Principal Peter Balas wrote that the bomb…
Ask McEnearney reviews the real estate market from the 4th quarter of 2022 and how it compares to the 4th quarter of 2021.
Hi, my name is Moneim Z., and I am a blind male with chronic kidney disease, who needs a living kidney donor for a transplant. My blood type is B+, and I can accept a kidney from individuals who have blood types B and O.
To read my story, please see the attached letter.
To contact me directly, please email me at [email protected] or call at 571-428-5065. My living donor coordinator at INOVA Hospital, Amileen Cruz can be reached at (703) 776-8370 , or via email at [email protected]
If you’re looking for a mental health professional in Virginia, Washington D.C., or Maryland, we can help.
We provide a confidential and convenient way to get the help you need from the comfort of your own home.
We offer a free 15-minute consultation to see if our services fit your needs.
The services we offer are: