There are dozens of boards and commissions in Alexandria with vacancies, giving locals a chance to be in the room where it happens.
Some of the notable vacancies include:
- Board of Architectural Review — 2-year term: One vacancy is up for consideration due to a citizen member resigning. The BAR meets twice a month to review development applications and determine appropriateness, but in Alexandria the BAR holds significantly more sway than in other localities.
- Community Criminal Justice Board — 2-year term: Two vacancies are available on the Community Criminal Justice Board. This board oversees several programs and services used for the courts in diverting offenders from jail. The board also monitors and evaluates community programs, services and facilities to determine their impact on local offenders.
- Environmental Policy Commission — 2-year term: Two vacancies are available for the Environmental Policy Commission, which advises and makes recommendations to the City Council on environmental issues ranging from land use to noise pollution.
- Park and Recreation Commission — 3-year term: Two vacancies are available for the Parks and Recreation Commission, which advises the City Council on issues related to — hold onto your socks — parks and recreational activities.
- Waterfront Commission — 2-year term: One vacancy is available for a representative from the Commission for the Arts. The Waterfront Commission helps shape policy in some of the city’s most high-profile issues, like flooding and the Torpedo Factory overhaul. But they also meet at 7:30 a.m. Yikes.
A bit of a slower news week in Alexandria. The fight over the Potomac Yard arena was still ongoing and Metro funding got tied up into the mix. Over the…
A new pilot program to step up parking enforcement in Old Town netted 4,000 citations in its first month. A staff memo (page 8) to the Traffic and Parking Board…
The Alexandria School Board approved its fiscal year 2025 $384.4 million combined funds budget on Thursday night and it is asking City Council for $21 million more than the previous…
A 4 BD/3 BA brick townhome with a gas fireplace, floor to ceiling windows and a 2 car garage is featured in Just Listed.
Are you looking to work on health and fitness from the comfort of your own home?
Skip the big box gym and try out our in-home personal training service. We bring the gym to you so that you can save time and avoid the hassle of going the the crowded gym.
We bring all the equipment you need for a solid workout and if you have a community gym we can use that too.
We offer programs that will help with weight loss, strength, flexibility, more energy and overall feeling better.
Peace in Gaza: Prayer Liturgy and Community Discussion for Peace in Arlington VA, Sunday, Feb. 11, 10:15 AM
Prayer, liturgy, and community discussion for peace in Gaza, an immediate cease fire and resumption of humanitarian aid will be hosted by Nova Catholic Community. The focus will be Pope Francis’ call for an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages, resumption of humanitarian aid for Palestinians in Gaza, and peace talks for a lasting and just peace for all people in the region.
Discussion will follow at Noon on US military role in the conflict and appropriate steps the US should take to foster peace and rebuilding. Light lunch served.
Again this year, The Critical Mass, LLC, the Made in ALX store and local Ukrainian-American artists are throwing a Pysanky Party — and partnering on a fundraiser for the nonprofit organization Razom for Ukraine.
The free event, from 5 –