The George Washington Birthday Parade is happening this Monday, and thousands of visitors are expected to line the mile-long parade route in Old Town.
The parade is the largest in the U.S. honoring George Washington, who turns 290 on Feb. 22. The Alexandria government will be otherwise closed on Monday, which is President’s Day.
The parade was canceled last year due to Covid, and this year’s parade is dedicated to Alexandria’s health care workers and first responders, who will march as parade grand marshals.
The full celebratory weekend is not back to full strength, as the traditional George Washington’s Birthnight Ball at Gadsby’s Tavern is remaining virtual on Saturday night, Feb. 19.
Other pre-parade traditions are continuing, including the wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier of the American Revolution at the Old Presbyterian Meeting House at 11 a.m.; and the signing of the Armed Forces Community Covenant by Mayor Justin Wilson and the commanders of neighboring military installations.
The parade starts at Gibbon and Fairfax Streets at 1 p.m. and snakes around City Hall and the reviewing stand at King and Royal Streets.
Parade participants are listed below the jump.
- Alexandria Democratic Committee
- Alexandria Republican City Committee
- Alexandria Transit Company
- Alexandria-Washington Lodge #22
- American Heritage Girls Troop VA0325
- American Legion Alexandria Post 24
- American Legion Riders Post 176
- Ancient Order of Hibernians of Alexandria
- THE BALLYSHANERS
- Caribbean Cruisers Car Club
- City of Alexandria Pipes & Drums
- Coldwell Banker Realty
- Cub Scout Pack 129
- Cub Scout Pac 135
- Cub Scout Pack 301
- Cub Scout Pack 680
- Cub Scout Pack 801
- Cub Scout Pack 867
- Daisy Scout Troop 60237
- DASH Bus
- Departmental Progressive Club, Inc.
- First Home Care – Therapeutic Foster Care
- First Virginia Regiment of the Continental Line
- Fishburne Military School
- Friends of Alexandria Archaeology
- Gadsby’s Tavern Museum Society
- Girl Scout Brownie Troop 60166
- Girl Scout Brownie Troop 60248
- Girl Scout Troop 60028
- Girl Scout Troop 60152
- Girl Scout Troop 60263
- Girls Scouts Service Unit 53-6
- John Alexander Chapter DAR
- Kate Waller Barrett Chapter NSDAR
- Kena Shriners
- Kiwanis Club of Alexandria
- Knights of Columbus Potomac Assembly 2204
- The Little Theatre of Alexandria
- Magnus Temple Marching Club
- Magnus Temple No. 3
- Marine Corps Base Quantico Color Guard
- Michelle Zelsman Realtor
- Miss American Teenager Organization
- Mount Vernon Area Girl Scouts
- National Society, Sons of the American Revolution, George Washington Chapter
- Old Dominion Boat Club
- Old Presbyterian Meeting House
- Old Town Festival of Speed & Style
- Quantico Marine Corps Band
- ROCKLANDS Barbeque and Grilling Company
- Rooftop Chimney Sweeps
- USA Ambassador Pageant – Virginia
- Virginia DAR State Regent, LeAnn Turbyfill
- Virginia DAR, District V
- Virginia International Pageant
- Washington Area Collectors Blue and Gray Military Vehicle Trust
- Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center
- The Zebra Press
It’s a day of happiness in Alexandria, as more than 900 Alexandria City High School seniors graduated this morning at George Mason University’s EagleBank Arena. Perhaps student speaker Lenhle Vilakati…
In some ways, it wasn’t a great week for shops around Alexandria. Three Alexandria stores had drivers crash into them this week. At the Bradlee Shopping Center, a driver was…
Westbound drivers may want to avoid Duke Street near Landmark next week as construction will shut down part of the road. The closures will affect the westbound lanes on Duke…
Parents and teachers at a School Board meeting last night said the rollout of a new plan to split specialist teachers across schools has been an unmitigated disaster. The change…
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.
Spring Fling at Rising Sol Yoga School
Join us for a day of FREE hot yoga. Experience our class styles and meet our teachers. Buy a bite at the Bake Sale to benefit The Carpenter’s Shelter, peruse some special vendors, take advantage of in-person only discounts on