Monday, Oct. 11, is Indigenous Peoples’ Day and there are some ways to celebrate around Alexandria, though locals should also be aware of what will be closed.
Visit Alexandria put together a list of activities locals can do around Alexandria if they’re looking for ways to celebrate Native cultures. Suggestions include shopping at Intertribal Creatives (106 N. Lee Street) gallery in Old Town — an art gallery that highlights Indigenous artists — or attending a virtual lecture on Chichén Itzá on Tuesday (Oct. 12) hosted by George Mason University professor Lisa Breglia.
Several city services around Alexandria will be closed on Monday. According to a press release from the city:
- Animal Welfare League of Alexandria: On Oct. 11, the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria (4101 Eisenhower Ave.) will be open weekend hours by appointment only. To make an appointment, visit their website or call 703.746.4744.
- Courts: The following Commonwealth of Virginia offices in Alexandria will be closed on Oct. 11.
- Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV): On Oct. 11, all Virginia DMV locations in Northern Virginia (including 2681 Mill Rd.) will be closed.
- Health Facilities: The Alexandria Health Department (4480 King St.), the Flora Krause Casey Health Center (1200 N. Howard St.) and the Teen Wellness Center at Alexandria High School (3330 King St.) will be closed Oct. 11.
- Historic Alexandria: On Oct. 11, the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum (105-107 S. Fairfax St.) will be open regular hours from 1 to 5 p.m. All other City museums will be closed.
- Impound Lot: The City’s Impound Facility (5249 Eisenhower Ave.) will be closed Oct. 11.
- Libraries: All Alexandria Library branches, and the Alexandria Law Library, will be closed Oct. 11.
- Parking: On Oct. 11, the Alexandria Police Department will suspend enforcement of parking restrictions at metered spaces, residential permit parking districts and other areas with posted parking time limits.
- Recreation and Arts Centers: On Oct. 11, Chinquapin Park Recreation Center & Aquatics Facility (3210 King St.), and Charles Houston (901 Wythe St.) and Patrick Henry (4653 Taney Ave.) Recreation Centers will be open 9 a.m-3 p.m. The Torpedo Factory Art Center (105 N Union St.) and all other recreation and nature centers will be closed.
- Resource Recovery: Residential refuse and recycling will not be collected Oct. 11. Collection services will slide by one day during the week of Oct. 11.
- The Household Hazardous Waste & Electronics Recycling Center (3224 Colvin St.) will be closed Oct. 11.
- Schools: There will be no school for students Oct. 11, and it will be a professional development day for all Alexandria City Public Schools staff.
- Transit: On Oct. 11, the Alexandria Transit Company’s fare-free DASH bus service will operate on a Saturday schedule. The free King Street Trolley will operate from King Street Metro to Alexandria City Hall/Market Square, with service every 15 minutes, from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Photo via Intertribal Creatives/Facebook
Four Alexandria school zones have been selected for a pilot program to install speed cameras, according to a presentation prepared for a joint City Council and School Board meeting. This…
A proposed extension of the King Street Trolley has reappeared in a new DASH transit plan. The bus network’s FY 2023-2028 Transit Development Plan includes a look behind the curtain…
Last week was peak bloom for most of the cherry blossoms around the D.C. region: have you gone to see them yet? Thousands visited D.C. this past weekend and traveled…
Good Monday morning, Alexandria! ☔ Today’s weather: Possible light rain in the afternoon and evening. High of 56 and low of 44. ⛅ Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy throughout the day. High…
Monarch Montessori School located in the heart of Del Ray is enrolling children 6 weeks to 6 years of age for our half day and full day program.
Our hours of operation are 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM, Monday-Friday. Monarch Montessori School is open year round, with intermittent breaks.
Children engage in self-directed, self-initiated activities under the guidance of a trained Montessori teacher. Classroom sizes range from 8-12 students. Our robust curriculum includes botany, sensorial activities, the social graces, culture, math, science, practical life, geography, music appreciation and language arts.
You’ll get half off of the registration fee when you register and begin care with us before April 30, 2023.
EDBS Dental Billing Solutions is pleased to announce that it has achieved compliance with the federally mandated standards of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) through the use of Compliancy Group’s proprietary HIPAA methodology, The Guard® compliance tracking software, and HIPAA Seal of Compliance®.
The HIPAA Seal of Compliance is issued to organizations that have implemented an effective HIPAA compliance program through the use of The Guard, Compliancy Group’s proprietary compliance tracking solution.
Clients and patients are becoming more aware of the requirements of HIPAA compliance and how the regulation protects their personal information. Forward-thinking providers like EDBS Dental Billing Solutions choose the HIPAA Seal of Compliance to differentiate their services.
Del Ray Dog Fest & Yappy Hour
The 1st Annual Del Ray Dog Fest is a fun outdoor event that will include dog-centered activities, dog menu items, live music, vendors and food on Sunday, April 2 from 11am- 3pm at the George Washington Middle School parking lot.