There are a number of available volunteer opportunities in Alexandria this summer.
“We need hundreds of people per week,” Volunteer Alexandria Executive Director Marion Brunken told ALXnow. “More people are in need now than ever.”
Here’s Volunteer Alexandria’s list of new and upcoming opportunities.
- Help Provide Meals to Children — “Alexandria City Public School (ACPS) will provide two days worth of breakfast and lunch meals with a snack pack free for any enrolled ACPS student on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Friday distribution will include a meal(s) for Saturday. Volunteers will meet at various schools to assist with packing boxes and loading buses with boxed meals. Then, volunteers will ride the bus along to distribute the meals while on site at a few ACPS mobile pop-up locations. Click on each location to sign up: Francis C. Hammond Middle School, Alexandria City High School, or Jefferson Houston School.”
- Alexandria Dept. of Community and Human Services Volunteer Guardian — “Looking for individuals who can assure the well-being of an
incapacitated Alexandrian living in an Assisted Living Facility or Nursing Facility. Volunteer Guardians are appointed by the Court to make decisions for older Alexandria residents who have lost the capacity to understand the consequences of their decisions. The volunteer will visit the resident monthly and follow the person’s wishes as much as possible. To express interest, click HERE.”
- Alexandria Families for Safer Streets Executive Assistant to Board of Directors — “The agency is seeking an executive assistant to help coordinate a diverse group of tasks necessary to keep us on track and moving forward. Someone with office manager skills would be the ideal candidate. To learn more click HERE.
- ALIVE! — “Volunteers are needed to assist with multiple programs relating to their Food Program, ALIVE! House, and Alexandria Eviction Prevention Partnership Program will distribute food at Mobile Pop-ups and Truck to Trunk events, etc. Click HERE to learn about each opportunity and to register.”
- The Alzheimer’s Association and the Walk to End Alzheimer’s –Saturday, September 25 (National Harbor) and Saturday, October 9, 2021, on the National Mall, Washington, DC. Volunteers are needed on the day of the events to help with set up, sign placement, information services, promise flower distribution, cheerleaders, and route monitors. To learn more and register, click HERE for September 25 and click HERE for October 9.
- Create COVID-19 Care Packages with the Salvation Army — “We are collecting items for seniors and vulnerable populations. You can help by creating care packages from the security of your own home and safely dropping items at our locations. To express interest, click HERE.
- Long Term Client Intake Case Workers — “Provide financial and logistical assistance to those in need of a Virginia state ID, needed to access housing, food assistance, jobs and more. While helping clients get IDs we also register them to vote and help others restore their voting rights. To register, click HERE.
- On-Call Event Photographer — “Use your photography skills to help document the incredible work of our volunteers. Flexible schedule. Perfect for a
student looking to build their portfolio or an experienced photographer looking for a service opportunity. Must provide digital photographs (and all rights to photographs) to @VolunteerAlex for use in digital and print promotions. Person must provide their own camera equipment and transportation. To express interest, click HERE.”
- World Culture Food Festival on Saturday, July 31 – “Volunteers needed for the Around The World Cultural Food Festival. Shifts are in 4-hour and 8-hour segments. These shifts may be before, during, or after the festival. Each volunteer will receive food tickets. Upon request, students can also receive service hours for volunteering in the festival. To sign up, click HERE.”
- Teacher at Friends of Guest House – “Dedicated volunteers needed to teach various subjects and skills classes to women. The ideal volunteer will be patient and interested in the success of these women as they further their knowledge. Volunteers are also needed to assist with vaccination pods and instruct substance abuse, addiction, and recovery classes. To register and learn more click HERE.”
- Friendship Firehouse Street Festival — “Volunteers needed between 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. on August 7 to assist with set up, visitor counts, greet, monitor tables and interact with guests. Ages 16 and above welcome, (skills needed: perseverance and a smile) fun for the whole family. To register, click HERE.
Alexandria incumbent Mayor Justin Wilson (D) faced off against challenger Annetta Catchings (R) in a forum hosted by the Seminary Ridge Civic Association (SRCA) earlier this week. Discussion of crime…
Some voters in the 8th District will get an in-person visit from their Congressman in the coming days. Congressman Don Beyer is door-knocking for Virginia’s Democratic gubernatorial candidate former Governor Terry…
The Metro is operating at 40% service after the 7000 series railcars were pulled from service to be inspected for the same defect that recently caused a derailment in Arlington….
Today’s Listing of the Day is a 3 BD/3 BA, 2 half bath waterfront home with 4 gas fireplaces located at 2 Wolfe Street.