A new display will feature a “Virginia is for Lovers” drum prop featured for a split second during one action sequence when a goon gets thrown through it.
“The recently-released Warner Bros. film Wonder Woman 1984, which shot for several weeks in Alexandria, VA in the spring and summer of 2018, features a special product placement with Virginia Tourism’s iconic Virginia is for Lovers brand featured on a large-scale prop,” the Virginia Tourism Bureau said in a press release. “The prop will be on display in Old Town Alexandria January 7 to February 28, 2021 and will be accompanied by more film-inspired experiences.”
The film was released in some theaters and on HBO Max on Christmas.
“Having a colossal film like Wonder Woman 1984 shoot in the Commonwealth was a huge financial win — the project had a total economic impact of over $45 million during their relatively brief time on the ground,” said Virginia Film Office director Andy Edmunds in a press release. “Having millions of audience members now see the iconic Virginia is for Lovers logo up on both the large and small screens provides immeasurable brand visibility that will have a positive effect for years to come.”
Several self-guided Wonder Woman themed tours are scheduled to launch in early January, along with deals at some Alexandria businesses from cocktails to tattoos.
“Alexandria really came together to support the filming of Wonder Woman 1984 with coordination from the Alexandria Film Office, which is operated by Visit Alexandria, plus incredible support from the City of Alexandria and dozens of City departments and public safety officials,” Visit Alexandria president and CEO Patricia Washington said in the press release. “We’re thrilled Warner Bros. chose Alexandria for the filming of Wonder Woman 1984 and are excited to host a display of the drum prop as we present additional film-inspired experiences.”
Other local businesses with Wonder Woman themed discounts, according to the press release, include:
- Wonder Woman Wednesdays from Port City Brewing Co. in January 2021 with any two six-packs or a variety 12-pack available for $19.84 with pre-order for curbside pickup at the brewery.
- Original permanent and temporary tattoo designs inspired by Wonder Woman 1984 from the artists of inq Tattoos Old Town, a woman-and-veteran-owned tattoo boutique. Available with 5% off these services in January and February 2021; masks and appointments required.
- WW84 themed 3-flavor popcorn package from America’s Favorite Gourmet Popcorn for $19.84 featuring a red, white and blue edition of K-Street Kettle Korn plus Capital Caramel popcorn and America’s Favorite popcorn. Available January 7 through February 28, 2021; can be purchased online for shipping or pickup at the Alexandria store or purchased in-person at the Alexandria store and assembled while you wait.
- “Truth Teller” donut from Elizabeth’s Counter, inspired by always-honest Wonder Woman and her Lasso of Truth. A vanilla glazed donut is sprinkled with a marvelous a blend of red, white, blue and gold and silver stars. Available January 7 through February 28, 2021; order online for curbside pickup or pre-ordering; limited quantity available in-store.
- “A Deal is a Promise” cocktail from Captain Gregory’s, inspired by Diana’s iconic line in the 2017 Wonder Woman film. The cocktail features persimmon-infused pisco, Strega, Cynar and persimmon bitters. Available January 7 through February 28, 2021; offered on site at Captain Gregory’s with outdoor seating available or to-go from sister restaurant Elizabeth’s Counter with food purchase.
- “The Invisible Plane” cocktail at Vola’s Dockside Grill and the Hi-Tide Lounge, inspired by Diana’s invisible jet from the original DC Comics, which has been teased in the Wonder Woman 1984 trailer. The cocktail is crafted with Sauza Hornitos tequila, raspberry, ginger and fresh lime juice, rimmed with raw sugar and topped with an invisible plane. Available on site only January 7 to February 28, 2021; heated outdoor seating is available.
Image via Warner Brothers
Good Monday morning, Alexandria! 🌥️ Today’s weather: Mostly sunny with a high near 65. Partly cloudy tonight with a low around 46. 🚨 You need to know An economic analysis said that…
A bit of a slower news week in Alexandria. The fight over the Potomac Yard arena was still ongoing and Metro funding got tied up into the mix. Over the…
A new pilot program to step up parking enforcement in Old Town netted 4,000 citations in its first month. A staff memo (page 8) to the Traffic and Parking Board…
The Alexandria School Board approved its fiscal year 2025 $384.4 million combined funds budget on Thursday night and it is asking City Council for $21 million more than the previous…
Are you looking to work on health and fitness from the comfort of your own home?
Skip the big box gym and try out our in-home personal training service. We bring the gym to you so that you can save time and avoid the hassle of going the the crowded gym.
We bring all the equipment you need for a solid workout and if you have a community gym we can use that too.
We offer programs that will help with weight loss, strength, flexibility, more energy and overall feeling better.
Peace in Gaza: Prayer Liturgy and Community Discussion for Peace in Arlington VA, Sunday, Feb. 11, 10:15 AM
Prayer, liturgy, and community discussion for peace in Gaza, an immediate cease fire and resumption of humanitarian aid will be hosted by Nova Catholic Community. The focus will be Pope Francis’ call for an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages, resumption of humanitarian aid for Palestinians in Gaza, and peace talks for a lasting and just peace for all people in the region.
Discussion will follow at Noon on US military role in the conflict and appropriate steps the US should take to foster peace and rebuilding. Light lunch served.
Again this year, The Critical Mass, LLC, the Made in ALX store and local Ukrainian-American artists are throwing a Pysanky Party — and partnering on a fundraiser for the nonprofit organization Razom for Ukraine.
The free event, from 5 –