A candle that fell on a bed has left nine residents and three animals displaced from a West End apartment building.
The Alexandria Fire Department was called on Tuesday night to an apartment building in the 4700 block of West Braddock Road at 10:40 p.m. on Tuesday (Sept. 15), and quickly extinguished a fire in a second floor bedroom.
“The unit where the fire originated was condemned due to fire and water damage, and residents were able to find alternative accommodations,” AFD reported in a news release. “An adjacent unit was also condemned due to water and overhaul damage, and the Red Cross assisted the residents in finding alternative accommodations.”
The fire caused an estimated $75,000 in damage, according to AFD.
A West End apartment fire on Tuesday night displaced 9 residents and 3 pets. Upon arrival, crews discovered fire in a bedroom of an apartment on the second level of the building. https://t.co/mLrp05aBa6
— Alexandria Fire-EMS (@AlexandriaVAFD) September 17, 2020