Good Thursday morning, Alexandria!
☀️ Today’s weather: Expect sunny skies with a high of around 45 degrees and a light northwest wind initially, which will later become variable. Thursday night will remain clear with a low temperature near 29 degrees, accompanied by a mild southwest wind of 3 to 5 mph.
🚨 You need to know
While Mayor Justin Wilson previously said there will be around three streets renamed each year, there are four street names swept up in the first round of renaming recommendations.
The City Council will review the new names at their meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 9, with the final vote on the names at a public hearing on Saturday, Jan. 20.
The new names focus on having streets that honor women and minorities, traditionally underrepresented across Alexandria street names, as well as finding opportunities to use the same street sign to avoid unnecessary cost and hassle for residents.
Image via Google Maps
📈 Wednesday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Dec 13, 2023.
- BREAKING: Washington Capitals and Wizards are officially moving to Potomac Yard (62755 views)
- Poll: What do you think of the proposed Capitals and Wizards arena in Potomac Yard? (4087 views)
- Alexandria man charged with first-degree murder in fatal Del Ray church stabbing (1112 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Wilson Answers Residents’ Questions about Arena Plan
Alexandria Living (Wednesday @ 8:37 pm)
- Wizards, Capitals to move to Potomac Yard
Alexandria Times (Wednesday @ 8:24 pm)
- City Council to consider North Fairfax Street multi-family building
Alexandria Times (Wednesday @ 8:16 pm)
- OK Cleaners to leave Commonwealth Avenue
Alexandria Times (Wednesday @ 8:15 pm)
- City resident charged in November 12 murder
Alexandria Times (Wednesday @ 8:15 pm)
- Del Ray Homicide Of Centreville Man Leads To Charge: Police
Patch (Wednesday @ 5:13 pm)
- WMATA Spreading Cheer With Holiday-Themed Bus
Zebra (Wednesday @ 3:47 pm)
- 2023 Holiday Lights Guide: Displays To Visit Around Greater Alexandria
Patch (Wednesday @ 2:16 pm)
- Confederate Street Renaming Proposal Up For Review In January
Patch (Wednesday @ 12:02 pm)
- Washington Capitals, Wizards Move From DC To NoVA Outlined
Patch (Wednesday @ 10:06 am)
- Alexandria to Welcome World Class Entertainment District to Potomac Yard
Zebra (Wednesday @ 9:29 am)
- Officials May Plans to Build Pro Sports Arena at Potomac Yard
Alexandria Living (Wednesday @ 7:37 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
A bit of a slower news week in Alexandria. The fight over the Potomac Yard arena was still ongoing and Metro funding got tied up into the mix. Over the…
A new pilot program to step up parking enforcement in Old Town netted 4,000 citations in its first month. A staff memo (page 8) to the Traffic and Parking Board…
The Alexandria School Board approved its fiscal year 2025 $384.4 million combined funds budget on Thursday night and it is asking City Council for $21 million more than the previous…
A 4 BD/3 BA brick townhome with a gas fireplace, floor to ceiling windows and a 2 car garage is featured in Just Listed.
Are you looking to work on health and fitness from the comfort of your own home?
Skip the big box gym and try out our in-home personal training service. We bring the gym to you so that you can save time and avoid the hassle of going the the crowded gym.
We bring all the equipment you need for a solid workout and if you have a community gym we can use that too.
We offer programs that will help with weight loss, strength, flexibility, more energy and overall feeling better.
Peace in Gaza: Prayer Liturgy and Community Discussion for Peace in Arlington VA, Sunday, Feb. 11, 10:15 AM
Prayer, liturgy, and community discussion for peace in Gaza, an immediate cease fire and resumption of humanitarian aid will be hosted by Nova Catholic Community. The focus will be Pope Francis’ call for an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages, resumption of humanitarian aid for Palestinians in Gaza, and peace talks for a lasting and just peace for all people in the region.
Discussion will follow at Noon on US military role in the conflict and appropriate steps the US should take to foster peace and rebuilding. Light lunch served.
Again this year, The Critical Mass, LLC, the Made in ALX store and local Ukrainian-American artists are throwing a Pysanky Party — and partnering on a fundraiser for the nonprofit organization Razom for Ukraine.
The free event, from 5 –