Capital Bikeshare is expanding into Alexandria’s West End, with three new stations scheduled to be installed in June.
The expansion is part of a seven-station growth planned to expand the bike infrastructure network across the West End.
According to a report headed to the Transportation Commission, the four recently installed stations are:
- South Whiting Street at Lane Drive
- North Hampton Drive at Ford Avenue
- Taney Avenue at North Howard Street
- Kenmore Avenue at Seminary Road
The three incoming stations will be located at:
- Fillmore Avenue at Bisdorf Drive, southeast corner (on-street)
- North Howard Street at North Imboden Street (on-street)
- Virginia Theological Seminary
Once this stage is completed, there will be a total of 44 Capital Bikeshare stations in Alexandria, but the City is hoping to expand that again if it can get the funding this fall.
According to the report:
Staff is continuing to work towards the next phase of expansion with VDOT funding, which is expected to begin in fall/winter 2021 and will increase the Capital Bikeshare system by an additional 17 stations. The remaining 9 stations funded by VDOT grant funding are expected to be installed in 2022/2023.
The bikeshare expansion is scheduled for review at the Wednesday, May 19, Transportation Commission meeting.