The wellness-related businesses in Del Ray have banded together to form The Wellness District, and the annual week devoted to providing care to the community has expanded into the entire month of September.
All this month is Wellness Month in Del Ray, and the offerings include gong meditations, outdoor yoga and free mental health webinars.
“Here’s the scoop,” Dr. Lauren Fisher, co-owner of Del Ray Psych and Wellness, told ALXnow. “There’s no time like the present for people to really be focusing on their wellness across the board, so we are doing a bunch of promos and free classes and different offerings. That will help the public acquainted with some of the wellness providers they are not familiar with in Del Ray. I think a lot of people don’t know how much there is in this small area.”
Wellness Week is usually celebrated in the third week in September, according to Visit Del Ray.
Y’all ready for an outdoor Hoopshop? Debora is serving up her skills in September! Let’s connect outside and with plenty…
“Del Ray has become the center of health and wellness in the region, with a wide range of award-winning wellness providers and fitness studios,” said Del Ray Business Association President Sue Kovalsky. “We are proud of the incredible work that The Wellness District does to connect the community to resources that help them live their best lives.”
Dr. Lola Capps, the owner of Chrysalis Chiropractic, said she has seen a dramatic increase in the number of wellness businesses in the area since she opened in 2003.
“We have since seen the wellness businesses explode here, and it seemed apparent that the next natural growth opportunity for the DRBA wellness businesses was to collectively deem ourselves The Wellness District,” Capps said.
Check out the Wellness District’s offerings below the jump.
- TUESDAY, SEPT. 1, 8, 15, 22, and 29: Del Ray Psych & Wellness hosts a free outdoor Gong Meditation Class by Sound Wellness every Tuesday evening in September from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Del Ray Psych & Wellness lot, located at 1900 Mount Vernon Avenue.
- WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 2, 9, 16, 23, and 30: Senior yoga instructor/Coldwell Banker realtor Maureen Clyne and Del Ray Psych & Wellness host a free outdoor Harvest Moon Yoga class every Wednesday through Oct. 14 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Del Ray Psych & Wellness lot at 1900 Mount Vernon Avenue. All attendees will be required to wear masks, maintain 10-foot social distance, and bring their own mat.
- FRIDAY, SEPT. 11: Del Ray Psych and Wellness hosts a free webinar, “More Than Mocktails: Understanding the Sober Curious Movement.” For more information, visit delraypsych.com.
- MONDAY, SEPT. 14 and 28: Four Directions Wellness hosts “Mindfulness Mondays,” a complimentary guided meditation at 12 p.m. Register to attend via Zoom at fourdirectionswellness.com.
- WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 23: The Inova Bloodmobile will be at the Del Ray Psych & Wellness lot at 1900 Mount Vernon Avenue from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Register online at bit.ly/delray092020. Donors will receive a Wellness District swag bag!
- Acupuncture in Del Ray (3140 Commonwealth Ave.): Wellness package: 10% off a series of five acupuncture treatments to support stress reduction, promote better sleep and boosts immunity. Visit acupunctureindelray.com for more information.
- Core Wellness & Physical Therapy (2212 Mt Vernon Ave.): Personalized 30 minute Telehealth or Phone Consultation with Dr. Elizabeth Stroot, PT, “Dr. E”. Discuss how you can optimize your health with a personalized approach. This may include past or current injuries, pain, functional limitations, nutrition, fitness, prevention, and more. To be used by November 1, 2020. For more information, visit www.corewellness.net.
- eye2eye Optometry Corner (1502 Mount Vernon Ave.): Free lens cleaner and cloth when you schedule your annual eye exam; please note: you must mention Del Ray Wellness Month when making your appointment.
- Four Directions Wellness (2001 Mount Vernon Ave.): Complimentary training on self-care Reiki during the month of September. Reiki is an ancient Japanese healing technique that promotes relaxation and balancing of mind, body and spirit! Dates and times vary so please review and register at www.fourdirectionswellness.com/classes
- Impact Your Fitness (301 North Fairfax Street, Suite 107): Join us for a free masterclass on upgrading your home exercise with no equipment. Sign up at impactyourfitness.net.
- Potomac Kempo (3650 S Glebe Rd, #190): $100 off enrollment for one student or $200 off enrollment for two students for the month of September. Available the following locations: National Landing, Fairlington, Old Town. Learn more at www.potomackempo.com.
- Truly-Life Eco Gifts (truly-life.com): Receive two free 1/4 bar of soaps when you purchase any three full bars during Wellness Month. At checkout, write “send” or “donate” in the comments — if you write “send,” Truly-Life will send both complementary bars to you; if you write “donate,” Truly-Life will send one to you and one will be donated to an Arlandria neighbor in need.
- The Vital Body Massage and Bodywork (1900 Mt. Vernon Ave, Suite 101): 15% off your first massage when booking with Milah — book at the vitalbody.com and enter VB15 in the notes section when booking. Expires September 30, 2020.
Photo via Mind the Mat Pilates and Yoga/Facebook
Nearly a fortnight after a snowstorm shut down Alexandria, the city’s emergency services finished pretreating local roads just before the snow started to fall. “In advance of the storm, T&ES…
In a release to parents and staff put out today (Sunday), Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) said everyone in Alexandria schools will still be required to wear a mask despite…
It’s been a busy week in Alexandria with City Council coming back into session for the first time in 2022. With a majority of the Council being new, there are…
On New Year’s morning, Luke Shlagel of Shlagel Farms was among a handful of vendors at the weekly Del Ray Farmer’s Market. Some customers asked why he wasn’t hanging out…