While new COVID-19 cases are on the decline, local organizations are still working to ensure that residents have access to resources as Alexandria slowly reopens. Here are the next free food distributions in the city today and through the weekend.
There will be a free food distribution at Casa Chirilagua (4109 Mount Vernon Avenue) today (Thursday) from 5 to 7 p.m. People are asked to wear face masks and to bring carts to take food home.
Additionally, every evening Christ House (131 S. West Street) provides a free hot meal from 4:30 to 6 p.m.
On Friday, there will be food distributions at:
- Old Town Community Church (212 S. Washington Street) at noon.
- Bennington Crossings Apartment Homes (441 N. Armistead Street) from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
- Meade Memorial Episcopal Church (322 N. Alfred Street) from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Washington Street United Methodist Church (109 S Washington St) from 6 to 8 a.m.
Meals and bags of shelf stable groceries.TODAY 5 pm – 6 pm at Casa Chirilagua (4109 Mt Vernon Ave).In cooperation…
ALIVE! is also helping Alexandria City Public Schools with its food distribution, and food is available during the week at the following locations on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- William Ramsay Elementary School, 5700 Sanger Avenue, from 9 a.m. to noon
- Francis C. Hammond Middle School, 4646 Seminary Road, from 9 a.m. to noon
- Cora Kelly School for Math, Science and Technology, 3600 Commonwealth Avenue, from 9 a.m. to noon
- Jefferson-Houston PreK-8 IB School, 1501 Cameron Street, from 9 a.m. to noon
- T.C. Williams High School, 3330 King Street, from 9 a.m. to noon
- Mason Apartments at South Reynolds Street, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- Brent Place Apartments at 375 South Reynolds Street, from 11:20 to 11:50 a.m.
- Ruby Tucker Family Center at 322 Tancil Court, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- Community Lodgings at 607 Notabene Drive, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- Old Towne West Apartments (parking lot) at 500 South Alfred Street, from 11:20 to 11:50 a.m.
- Corner of Florence Drive and Four Mile Road, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- The Fields of Alexandria at 4309 Duke Street, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- Bennington Crossing Apartment Homes at 441 North Armistead Street, from 11:30 a.m. to noon
Staff photo by James Cullum
(Updated at 5:50 p.m.) An afternoon storm has brought flooding and shut down some roads and services in Alexandria. City bus service DASH announced via Twitter that all bus service…
Late last week, a third grader at Jefferson-Houston School was exhibiting COVID symptoms. By Sunday her mother received positive test results, and that evening she sent word to the school…
The wellness-related businesses in Del Ray are bottling their creative energies into a new blog. Every Wednesday morning, the Wellness District Blog will publish two new posts to help folks…
The Eisenhower Partnership is planning an Oktoberfest celebration early next month to help raise funding for the Engin and Agnès Artemel Urban Planning Scholarship, a scholarship for students majoring in…